Dorene has has a lot of restless leg syndrome from the drugs she has to take and Megace has added to that to a large degree and Dorene's ability to get a good night's sleep has been greatly altered. She's spoken to her Hospice nurse and the medication they recommended has not helped. But by luck last Friday, and it shouldn't have been left to luck as I should have discussed it with Mom sooner, I made a 3 way call with Dorene, Mom and I and when we started talking about it Mom brought up taking Magnesium to help control the restless leg. She has recommended it to several people, all of who were on medications, with great results.
Dorene went to the Health Food store today to pick up some magnesium and we are hopeful that this will bring at least some relief. I will update you again once I have something more to share. Our Mom is such a wonderful resource of health information, we are very lucky. xoxo
So, there has been some given blessings; appetite, enjoyment of food, a little more energy, and new hope. And there has been some set-backs. Not getting solid sleep takes a big toll on Dorene. She is also struggling with her hospice provider over getting certain medications. They will not give her the megace and marinol both... and they have switched her from Ambien CR to Ambien. The marinol was helping with her restless leg and the Ambien CR helps her to not wake up a few hours after falling asleep to toss about bed the rest of the night. It seems Hospice is only willing to provide "Quality of Life Care" if it fits their budget. Very frustrating. Matt is going to look into it further.
![]() |
| Dorene's 48th BD at the Vet office - November 10, 2010 |
Summer is on it's way and Dorene is looking forward to warmer weather which is a blessing as there were times Dorene didn't think she'd see another summer. Unfortunately Coeur d'Alene is experiencing one of it's wettest/coldest springs at the moment so come on weatherman!! Bring sunshine to Coeur d'Alene!! :-)
I can't help but want to add today and again how amazed I am at Dorene's perseverance, strength of spirit, and beautiful, loving heart. I was talking to our Uncle Olin today and we were discussing that it is only because of an inner strength that I don't think Dorene is aware of that she possesses that she is here with us today. Many, maybe most of us, wouldn't have been able to fight like she has. Her body is stronger than most of ours when we are healthy... it keeps fighting and it must be a reflection of that amazing beautiful spirit that resides inside her soul. The last couple of years have been torturous and yet she keeps on fighting. I wish I knew how really express the truth of how I feel about her in words. I don't think it's possible. I love her, I cherish her, Dorene is my hero and I can only hope that I'm half the woman she is... heck, I'd be happy for 1/3rd. And I know you all see her beauty too...
Love,
Dorene's Sister
Deborah xoxo

No comments:
Post a Comment